Do you know what’s covered?
A client recently asked us whether a work function at an employee’s house would be covered by their workers’ compensation insurance. This is such a great question, and most people would not be aware of the answer!
With regards to workers compensation, in general so long as the event is considered an authorised work event at the employer’s request, the employees would be covered by Workers Compensation in the event of an injury. Your upcoming Christmas party or recently held Melbourne Cup lunch are perfect examples. However, it is best to check with your Insurer to be 100% sure.
Things to consider and communicate to those attending would be:
- Your company’s Code of Conduct Policy
- The standard of conduct expected from employees’ whilst attending the event
- The responsible consumption of alcohol
- Ensuring that there is an adequate supply of non-alcoholic drinks available
- Transportation to and from the event for those who intend to drink alcohol. Whilst there is no requirement for the employer to provide transport, it is advisable to discuss the issue of having a nominated driver or using a taxi.
Above all, a work function should be a chance to unwind and have fun with your colleagues or employees. Workers’ compensation may be at the back of your mind, but making yourself aware of the coverage of your insurance will eliminate one potential issue in the long run.